Saturday, March 31, 2012

Things are looking up...

The last few trips to the marsh have been showing a lot of promise for the upcoming season.  A week ago, I hit the waterway and ran back behind the barrier islands to see if anyone was home.  I came up on some small winding creeks and jumped up on the platform and started poling. 

It didn't take long to start spotting the pushes of several fish in front of me.  I watched reds swim around the skiff at each turn in the creek.  At a split in the creek, I staked out and saw numerous fish work around the skiff.  You could look up the creek and watch the wakes as schools of a half dozen or so fish would come down the shallow creek and come right to the boat. 

I had a short amount of time to hit the water this evening, so I stayed in the vicinity of the ramp.  I worked across a bay, into a winding creek that I hadn't been to in a few months.  There were several fish working the bends of the creek and the water was skinny enough to see their wakes as they moved around. 

A few years back, it seemed like you could find fish anywhere you stopped your boat.  The past two years were really tough, as the fish just didn't seem to be around in good numbers.  The large amount of redfish I've seen this winter and so far this spring is a great sign.  Things are looking up, and this year looks like it's gonna be a good one.



No comments:

Post a Comment